Thursday, October 14, 2010

They just keep falling....

We had a wonderful vacation at the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. What beauty and splendor. It was a very spiritual experience. We had a room that faced the Falls, and every time I looked out the window I said to my husband, "I don't understand it - they just keep falling." It hits me now, as I sit to write this entry, that the Falls and the rapids and the cliffs and vegetation are all Tao. They just be... the Falls just keep falling... I found a very real sense of peace and wonder, and it was a superlative way to regroup from my busy life. The third verse deals with contentment, and finding answers within:

Not exalting the gifted prevents quarreling.
Not collecting treasures prevents stealing.
Not seeing desirable things prevents confusion of the heart.
The wise therefore rule by emptying hearts and stuffing bellies, by weakening ambitions and strengthening bones.
If men lack knowledge and desire, then clever people will not try to interfere.
If nothing is done, then all will be well.


I almost went to a different translation because of the "full bellies" comment (lol) but I think that this translation speaks to the issue of not exalting the very things and foods that derail us when we are losing weight. How many of us have dreamed - nay, obsessed - with thoughts of chocolate, or cheesecake, or all-you-can eat buffets (etc. - pick your poison)? The more value we give these foods, the more we want them. What if we gave up the obsession, the exaltation of these foods and situations? Their hold on us would be diminished. We would be content with what truly nurtures our souls and fills our bellies.

Here is part of another translation (Stephen Mitchell):


The Master leads
by emptying people's minds
and filling their cores,
by weakening their ambition
and toughening their resolve.
He helps people lose everything
they know, everything they desire,
and creates confusion
in those who think that they know.

Practice not-doing,
and everything will fall into place.

This speaks also letting things go and just letting things be. But in my personal journey it also speaks to my earlier dieting madness: knowing all the "diets" and desiring to follow them and have their (not typical!) results only created confusion. The more I knew the less I knew. Which pyramid to follow: USDA? Mediterranean? Which things to count: calories, Points? Which method to use: on-line, paper journal? Which to have less of: carbs, fats, proteins? Which to have more of: carbs, fats, proteins? Letting go of all of this leads to letting go of the confusion and toughens my resolve to go about this in the way that is right for me: Practicing not-doing and letting everything fall into place. I love the word "fall" - it is so my experience this weekend: "They just keep falling..." No one has to do anything - they just do...

I also think that this verse speaks to the nature of the journey of weight loss. It is a common belief (and indeed many sayings - I am sure I could dig some up!) about how important it is to enjoy the process and not just live for end result. How much we miss and fret when the end result is what we focus on. We are so busy counting and measuring that we lose sight of WHAT we are counting and measuring: God's full bounty of wonderful food and libations (can crystal clear water be considered a libation? lol). If I'm so worried about how many calories or fat grams a food holds and make my choices based on those decisions, will I miss opportunities to eat and enjoy foods that are in season, farm fresh dairy, lovingly prepared baked goods?

How can I be on this journey and make it fun? I love a farmer's market feel to grocery shopping, and to that end I bought some lovely baskets and bring home my groceries in those. I DO stop at some of the tasting stations that Whole Foods sets up throughout the store (in the "olden days" I didn't allow myself even a morsel of what was being offered if I couldn't count the Points - oh my, what wonderful new foods I missed out on!). I DO stray from my list if there are in-store local farmers' produce being offered that I didn't expect. I am not a wine drinker - (in a former life I didn't want to waste the calories) but my husband and I went to a vineyard in Canada and I had the delightful experience of tasting ice wine for the first time - never mind it was the first time I had ever done a tasting at a winery! We also had a buffet dinner and I had some of the most wonderfully delicious foods and desserts that I have ever had! I passed by the things that I was familiar with and could loosely count, and instead had some of the more special and exotic offerings, and was more satisfied with eating less.

And I think those are the messages in this verse: Less is more. Not obsessing ends the confusion. Doing nothing brings about everything. Be content. Just BE.

Samida

No comments:

Post a Comment